sábado, 11 de junio de 2016

A hard linguistic question

Last Wednesday, a student asked me, in English, about what dialect, he didn’t used this word but recursion ahead I’m using it, of English is the most difficult. Naturally, I said no one. He was asking me if I find British, American or Australian dialects difficult or which one is the hardest to master. That made me think about one thing I want to write about. What's the correct distinction between dialects? Is it only nationality that matters? I don't think so. What really matters is the speakers. I mean the way they speak. I mean where, exactly, they live. Thus, can we talk about a dialect in terms of countries or in terms of cultures yet districts or provinces? Culture matters. A country is not a culture itself yet a region that includes a lot of them. A lot of cultures that coexist together in a place called a country i. e. Peru, the USA, etc. A dialect is the way how a culture speak a language. How they express themselves in a language. Which one is the most difficult, Aaron? I have no idea, in that very three countries are a bunch of dialects that I don't even know. Hard question of yours.

2 comentarios:

  1. You should have said Australian!!!!! ,..... problem solved, let the thinking for the thinkers!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. You're right. As a linguist I cannot answer a question like that as easily as that. Australian English, at least the standard one, is one of all the dialects... if that so... which one are we talking about? That one or what? This is likely a philosophical yet ontological question I am not able to even say a word. How difficult is semantics.

    ResponderEliminar